Sunday, May 16, 2010

Recipe - Peach Sorbet or Smoothie

Hello,

I have no idea where I found this recipe, but we have been using it for several years. Katie used to take this sorbet whenever she was going to a party where they were going to have cake and ice cream. After I had made the sorbet, I would freeze it in small round containers so that it would be ready on the day of any party or special event. When we received a party invite, I would call the parents and ask specifically what would be served at the party and then I would bring duplicates of everything with Katie's name and Food Allergy printed on each label. I would also print a label for the small container of ice cream and ask the mom if it would be o.k. if we stored it in their freezer until cake and ice cream time. If it was a new friend or if the mom needed my help (or would accept it), I usually stayed for the entire party or just popped in at food time. There were a few friends that I trusted enough to let the parents serve Katie her snack, but I asked them to wash their hands prior to handing her the snack and mentioned that it would be better if Katie could take the snack (cupcake and ice cream) out of the container herself to avoid cross-contamination. This method has always worked well for birthday parties, but I will mention that we did have a problem one time at a fast food restaurant when the cashier handed Katie a bag of apples after having made a milkshake and Katie went into anaphylactic shock and had to use the epi-pen. I may go into more detail about this in another blog, but I just want you to remember to tell anyone handling your child's food that they need to wash their hands before handling even the packaging containing the food. O.k., now to the recipe.


Peach Sorbet

1 bag frozen peaches
1 cup of juice (We use apple juice or white grape juice.) ** (tip below)
1/2 cup sugar (to taste)

If you have a good blender that crushes ice, you may be able to put all the ingredients in at once and puree to the desired consistency. I had a Kitchenaid blender that I loved but sadly it died on me and now I have a pretty but cheap imitation and I have to let the peaches almost thaw before it can blend them with the rest of the ingredients. Either way, you can then put the sorbet into one quart-sized container or three or four small round containers. If you prefer, you can add more juice until the mixture resembles a smoothie. My children love this.

** My children used to drink lots of apple juice, but I noticed that two of my children have issues with salicylates and it can cause poor behavior, potty accidents, and zombie-like staring. This may seem odd, but if you have a child who is effected by salicylates, you will understand and appreciate where I am coming from. O.k., my TIP is to freeze the rest of the apple juice in ice cube trays (and then dump it into a larger plastic container or bag), in 1 cup servings (small plastic cups) or in a small plastic bag. That way, you will have the juice when you need it, but will not feel that you have to let your children drink it every time you make sorbet.

2 comments:

  1. Beth,
    love the blog. And I'm definitely going to try some of these recipes. After we move (in 26 days), and we settle in WA, I'm going to tackle a reduced gluten and possible eliminating it (argh!) for my son, Jonathan.
    Congrats on starting the blob. You'll enjoy, it's fun :)
    If you ever want to spice things up, you can go to Cutest Blog on the Block for free background. They were LOTS of cute themes...and they're all FREE :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Suzanne. I have so many recipes but since I usually throw things together I am having to remake a few so I can figure out the measurements. Let's "talk" more when you get closer to going gluten free. I'd love to help in any way. Also, thanks for the background ideas, this wasn't entirely what I had in mind, but it was free. I'll check out the backgrounds soon!

    ReplyDelete