Saturday, May 15, 2010

Recipe - Chocolate and Strawberry Dessert

For Valentine's Day this year I decided to create something extra special for the children. Katie has just started eating things that have a chocolate taste, so I came up with this idea. I used the gluten free chocolate cake mix from Cherrybrook Kitchen and poured it into a heart-shaped cupcake pan. I happened to find mine on sale at Wegman's, but if you do not have one, you could simply make a sheet cake and use heart-shaped cookie cutters. After the cake was done I sprinkled it with powdered sugar, surrounded it with cut strawberries in a glaze made from powdered sugar and water, and then placed the small heart shaped chocolate on top. I was able to make the heart shaped chocolate by melting approximately a cup of Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips with approximately 1/2 tbls. or less of corn oil. This was an experiment, so I do not have the exact measurements. I then placed the melted chocolate into some heart shaped silicone (or flexible plastic) ice cube trays. I put the chocolate in the freezer for about 15 minutes, popped the chocolates out and placed them on top of the chocolate cake. The kids were thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment