Sunday, June 6, 2010

Recipe - Ham, Egg and Rice


Hello,
Many of you may not be able to eat this dish, but it is easy and for those children who can eat eggs, it is a great source of protein not to mention a quick and easy hot meal. Please see my note below on how I make it allergy free for my daughter.
1 ham steak
4-6 eggs
4 cups cooked rice
It is best to start the rice first. Fresh, hot, moist rice is best for this dish. Fry the ham steak in a pan with little or no oil. When the ham steak is cooked, take it out and cut it into small bite-sized pieces. (Check allergy-free note below.) I usually cook the eggs in a separate pan, because they may turn very brown from the ham juice and then my children will not eat them. After the eggs have been fully or almost completely scrambled, you can add the rice to the pan in which you cooked the ham, mixing it around until it picks up the ham juices. Then add the eggs and ham pieces to the dish. Kids seem to love this.
Ham and Rice (for those with food allergies)
After the ham is cooked, I cut it into bite-sized pieces and place it pretty far away from where I am working. When I am done making her portion, I then start scrambling the eggs. I wash my hands, add some white rice to the allergy portion, put the rest of the rice into the pan, then add the eggs and ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment